Thou shalt not flirt?


I was perusing one of my favorite websites, www.boundless.org, this morning and found this. Apparently, it is an anthem from a Mennonite Women's college.

Yield not to flirtation
For yielding is sin.
Each sister will help you
Some brother to win.
Strive womanly onward
Dark passions subdued.
Don't chase after boys, girls,
Let them chase after you.

I laughed when I first read this. (I hope you did too, it's cute!) But then, I looked at the words. "Yield not to flirtation?" Wait a minute; flirting isn't a sin....right?
Well, according to my beloved friend, www.dictionary.com , flirting is;

"To make playfully romantic or sexual overtures. To act amorously without serious intention; play at love."

I choked on my water when I read that, literally. Is that what I'm really doing when I am casually applying lip gloss in front of a guy, when I touch a man’s arm or lean in a little closer and give him my best 'come hither' look, I am playing at love? Well, yes. (Please note that I do not actually have a ‘come hither’ look. I’m sure that it would look like I just have something in my eye.)

Anyway, I am quite sure that this is not how God intended his daughters to act towards men. We're supposed to act holy, and upright. We are to live with integrity. Something tells me that overt flirting doesn't exactly fit in with that.

To be honest, when I first started researching this, I couldn’t help but to be a little annoyed and think that ‘here’s another thing that I as a Christian woman am not supposed to do.’ But truthfully, it’s not like that; stick with me on this one.

There is no doubt it my mind that it is more than OK to smile at a man, to laugh with a man, to joke with a man and to be friends with a man. After all, the Bible tells us that in order to have friends we must be friendly. It’s when our actions become overt and sexual that problems arise. Come on ladies let’s be honest, do we really need to put on that much lip gloss, or touch his arm, shoulder or leg that much? (I’m not saying you do that….I’m just sayin’!)

What ever happened to women being more subtle, to being coy? We as women sometimes feel the need to throw ourselves at men. While throwing ourselves at them, we have missed one key factor. Men like the hunt, they enjoy the chase. They were hunters and gathers from the beginning for goodness sakes!

I’m not saying to become a bona fide "rules woman" but maintain a little mystery. I think that you will find that overt flirting is overrated.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails